Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I love Paul Rudd, but...

I saw the movie Diggers, earlier this week. Haven't heard of it? Neither had I. It stars Paul Rudd, Maura Tierny, Lauren Ambrose, Sarah Paulson, and Ken Marino, (of Wet Hot American Summer fame, who also wrote this film), and imdb describes it as:
A coming-of-age story about four working-class friends growing up in Long Island, New York, as clam diggers. Their fathers were clam diggers as well as their grandfathers before them.

Sounds a little boring? Well, it is. There are definitely funny parts, but the ragtag clam-digging buddies, (the druggy, the ladies man, the angry husband/father, and the quiet artistic, depressed one), seem a little stereotypical and one-note. Plus, Paul Rudd's character talks to himself too much. There are a few fun and memorable scenes, but those are too few and far between. There's also a background story of the "big business" clam conglomerate taking business from the "little guy" clam digger, which comes across as a little tired and rehashed.

Apparently, David Wain was supposed to direct Diggers, but then Stella got picked up on Comedy Central and he had to back out. I wonder how it would have been different if he had been in the helm...

Also, I saw a great TV show on Food Network last night- Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels. I wouldn't regularly watch this stuff, but this was a very special episode from Portland, OR. They had some beautiful city shots, showcased a few great spots, and even featured a restaurant that's down the street from my house. I even recognized a friend of mine sitting in the background of a shot.

The quest for a high-five sponsor continues. The folks at Saturn are passing the idea around... I guess that's better than a "no."

1 comment:

Evan said...

I saw that Rachel Ray episode last night and thought of you. I'm ready to take a trip to Portland, just as long as Rachel isn't around when I come.