Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fracture: The Screening

I guess Fracture is a thriller, (though not exactly an 'on the edge of your seat' thriller). Anthony Hopkins plays a married engineer who learns that his wife is cheating on him. He shoots her, is arrested, but for various circumstantial reasons he can't be convicted. Ryan Gosling plays the hot-shot assistant DA who's trying to get him behind bars, (when he's not being distracted by a tempting new job in corporate law). Hopkins' part is reminiscent of Hannibal Lecter in the I'm-a-killer-but-I'm-creepily-pleasant-and-mild-mannnered way. He's great at playing that type of character though, and this is no exception. It's amazing how even though we know he's a killer, the whole audience still loves him. There's a surprising amount of humor considering how dark a lot of this movie is, though I saw this with a rather rumbunctious crowd of people and they laughed at a lot of things. Ryan Gosling is great too, as is the supporting cast of Billy Burke, Rosamund Pike, and Embeth Davidtz. I did enjoy most of this movie, although I felt it dragged a bit towards the end and some of the late realizations seemed a little cheezy. I guess it's a bad sign when I solve the crime a good fifteen minutes before the main character does...

In the press notes for this film, the director refers to Hopkins' as 'Tony' in all his quotes about the actor. Isn't that weird? Would you ever suspect that Anthony Hopkins goes by 'Tony?' Or maybe the director doesn't like him and this is his way of getting back at him. I'll look into it tomorrow when I interview both Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Anyone have any questions you want to ask them?

No comments: